Friday, April 16, 2010

bull fighting and Salamanca's rastro

Over the past week we had the opportunity to visit the bull fighting ring in Salamanca where we met a real professional matador. He explained his life long profession, the art of bull fighting, and gave us demonstrations on how the muleta (the cloth used by the matador) is used. He told us that he had killed over 500 bulls in his career! It was very interesting to learn about bull fighting because I think for most of us, it changed our perspective on it. Many people would just say its a its a killers sport that can't be respected, but after learning about bull fighting, I see just how much it takes, and how well they care for the bull before the matches. The matador explained that bull fighting is really seen as a form of art, on how well and elegantly they can control the bull. The fight is judged by the relationship between the matador and the bull, like how well the matador was able to control and predict the bull's movements. Many of us are now interested and open to seeing a real bull right before leaving Spain.

This past weekend my friends and I were able to enjoy a sunny day at Salamanca's rastro, like a major flea market. What a blast, especially for us girls who love shopping for clothes at great bargains. It is a very large market where they sell all types of items. I find the flea market here to be nicer than ones I have been to at home. It is very cheap for clothes. It is also a great place to get cheap food especially the pollo asado or paella.. yumm my favorite! At the end of our day we enjoed a big plate of Paella for only 4 euros! That is about 5 dollars for a giant plate of Paella – Spanish rice with mixed seafood, chicken and peas. I think that we may adopt the rastro as a weekly outing.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, this is my first time stopping by your blog, but I will be headed to Spain at the end of June to study abroad. It's exciting to see what you've done and makes me equally as excited to go myself. I LOVE FLEA MARKETS!

    ♥Myriam from myriad.of.mischief

    ReplyDelete